Monday, March 16, 2009

Mon 09.03.16 am

Hermeneutics: Principles and Processes of Biblical Interpretation

I have several books going, but am currently working through Hermeneutics: Principles and Processes of Biblical Interpretation by Henry A. Virkler. I really like the format of this book. The first chapter talked about, among other things, the process of hermeneutics and how your view of inspiration and inerrancy affects your approach to hermeneutics.

1 Kings 16

16.19 walking in the way of Jeroboam
16.26 walked in all the ways of Jeroboam
16.31 to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat
What a disgrace to become the standard by which wickedness is measured. And how embarrassing it must be for Nebat to have his name tacked on so many times! I wonder what I am the standard for. I definitely need to pray harder for my kids, so my name will not be used in the same way Nebat's was.

16.14 Now the rest of the acts of Elah, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel?
16.27 Now the rest of the acts of Omri which he did, and the might that he showed, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel?
I wonder how much of my life will be page fillers for the "book of the chronicles of the pastors of TBC?" God save me from useless activity.

1 Kings 17

I always thought of the miracle of the flour not running out for the widow in Zarephath, Sidon was pretty impressive, but apparently the widow was not too impressed. It wasn't until Elijah raised her son from the dead that she knew that he was "a man of God" and that the Word of the Lord was in his mouth. Talk about a tough crowd!

1 Kings 18

18.6 What's with Ahab looking for grass and water himself? Didn't he have people for that?
18. 15 As the Lord of Hosts lives, before whom I stand... I wonder if there is some special sense in which he meant that. I want to do better going through my day with the awareness that I stand before the Lord of Hosts.
18.28 "they cried aloud" versus Elijah "said" Why would we feel like we need to "yell at" God?

1 Kings 19

19.15 O that God will give me the sense and sight to see that it is not "I alone am left" and to take comfort in what He is doing through others.

No comments:

Post a Comment