Paul Elliott on John 16.5-15: "The mission of the Father is to bring people into relation with Him. The Holy Spirit is fulfilling this mission as he convicts the world, guides believers, and glorifies Christ."
· What three things does the Holy Spirit convict the world of? John 16:8-11 How can your prayers for the lost and presentation of the Gospel capitalize on how the Holy Spirit convicts unbelievers?
Jim Johnston on 2 Timothy 1:1-18 -- “A faithful, obedient Christian has to be prepared to suffer shame for Christ.”
· We all have times when are tempted to be “ashamed” of Christ and/or the Gospel? How can the truths in verse 8-12 embolden us?
· Are Christians “in chains” or suffering for the Gospel in our modern times? How can we share in other believer’s sufferings for the Gospel? (Check with Open Doors USA, Christian Solidarity Int., or Voice of the Martyrs for ideas.)
Jim Johnston on 2 Timothy 2:1-13 -- "In this passage, Paul gives directions (or coaching tips) on how to run with endurance."
· (v. 2) Paul admonishes us to commit or entrust “these things” to other faithful men (or people). 2 Timothy2:1-2 What are you doing to entrust what you have learned to others?
· How do your possessions and commitments work against enduring hardship for Christ? What can we focus on that will help us run with endurance and hope? 2 Timothy 2:8-10; Hebrews 11:24-27; Hebrews 12:1-3; James 1: 12; James 5:10-11
Phil Martin on 2 Chronicles 26 -- "A humble grasp of the Lord’s holiness is essential to please Him."
· Why is prosperity often our greatest weakness? How do we keep from forgetting the Lord when we are strong? 2 Chronicles 26:16; Deuteronomy 6:10-12; Proverbs 30:7-9; James 4:6-10; 1 Peter 5:5-7
· What are some attitudes that can work against our hearts becoming “lifted up” (proud)? Proverbs 12:1; Proverbs 27:5-6; Isaiah 6:1-5; James 1:16-17