2 Timothy 3:1-4:8
October 1, 2017
2 Timothy 2:14-26 -- "The Gospel ministry is one of hope, remembering the real enemy."
1. What three-word pictures does Paul use to describe Timothy’s ministry? What do these metaphors picture about Christian ministry?
2. What are the characteristics of a clean vessel? What characteristics should be demonstrated by the Lord’s servant? (compare to Galatians 5:22-23) How do they help accomplish the goal in verse twenty-five?
2 Timothy 3:1-9: “Paul warns against perilous times and people that Timothy would encounter in his ministry.”
3. What loves that do the sins in 3:1-4 reveal? Do you see any categories or progression in the list?
4. What are the characteristics of people the false teachers take advantage of? How do we guard against being like them?
2 Timothy 3:10-17 – “For spiritual stamina remember those who followed God authentically and continue in the Word.”
5. What were the nine marks of Paul’s life and ministry? What can all who live godly expect? Is that still true today?
6. What are the Scriptures able to do for us? How does belief in verse 16a effect our attitudes toward the Bible?
2 Timothy 4:1-8 -- "This passage is not just for the preacher, but for the whole church."
7. What does Paul call Timothy to do? How and why is he to do those things? How do those admonitions apply to the “person in the pew?”
8. What does your culture consider a life well lived? How does that compare with Paul’s evaluation of his life?
(Leader, you do not have to complete all the questions. You may prefer to pick four or five that you think will be most relevant to your group.)
Galatians 5:22-24 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.