14.10 You have become weak as we! Death is the great equalizer. I have never thought of the "great cloud of witnesses" for the damned who cheer at their fall and bitterly and gleefully anticipate their demise.
14.11 Maggots as a bed and worms as covers. What a happy thought!
14.24 Good verse on God's decrees.
15.2 Dibon (di' bahn) or DIBON-GAD (di' bahn-gad) Place name possibly meaning, “pining away” or “fence of tubes.” 1. Capital city of Moab captured by Moses (Numbers 21:21-31). Gad and Reuben asked for it as their tribal territory (Numbers 32:3). Gad took control and fortified Dibon (Numbers 32:34). It thus became known as Dibon-gad and was one of Israel's camping spots east of the Jordan (Numbers 33:45-46). Joshua reported that Moses gave Dibon to the tribe of Reuben (Joshua 13:9,Joshua 13:17). In pronouncing judgment on Moab, Isaiah described the religious mourning at the worship place in Dibon (Isaiah 15:2), showing that Moab had gained control of Dibon by about 730 B.C. The Moabite stone of King Mesha, discovered in Dibon, shows that Moab controlled Dibon about 850 B.C. About 700 B.C. Jeremiah again announced destruction for Moab and Dibon (Jeremiah 48:18-22).
Dibon stood on the northern hill across the valley from modern Dhiban. It is about 40 miles south of Amman, Jordan, and three miles north of the Arnon River. Occupation of the site apparently goes back to about 2500 B.C., but the main occupation period began after 1200 B.C., climaxing about 850 with Mesha. Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the city in 582 B.C.
Nabateans built a temple there during Jesus' childhood. It was apparently abandoned about A.D. 100.
2. In Nehemiah's day (about 445 B.C.) Jews lived in a Dibon in Judah. This may be the same as Dimonah. See Dimonah.
Bibliography Information: Fausset, Andrew Robert M.A., D.D., "Definition for 'Dibon' Fausset's Bible Dictionary". --bible-history.com - Fausset's; 1878.
Heshbon Meaning: intelligence / a city ruled over by Sihon, king of the Amorites (Josh. 3:10; 13:17) / It was taken by Moses (Num. 21:23-26), and became afterwards a Levitical city (Josh. 21:39) in the tribe of Reuben (Num. 32:37). After the Exile it was taken possession of by the Moabites (Isa. 15:4; Jer. 48:2, 34, 45). The ruins of this town are still seen about 20 miles east of Jordan from the north end of the Dead Sea. There are reservoirs in this district, which are probably the “fishpools” referred to in Song of Songs 7:4.
Elealeh God has ascended, a place in the pastoral country east of Jordan, in the tribe of Reuben (Num. 32:3, 37). It is not again mentioned till the time of Isaiah (15:4;16:9) and Jeremiah (48:34). It is now an extensive ruin called el-A'al, about one mile northeast of Heshbon.
Jahaz Meaning: trodden down / Jahaz was also called Jahaza (Josh. 13:18), Jahazah (21:36), amd Jahzah (1 Chr. It was a town where Sihon was defeated, in the borders of Moab and in the land of the Ammonites beyond Jordan, and north of the river Arnon (Num. 21:23; Deut. 2:32)
It was situated in the tribe of Reuben, and was assigned to the Merarite Levites (Josh. 13:18; 21:36). Here was fought the decisive battle in which Sihon (q.v.) was completely routed, and his territory (the modern Belka) came into the possession of Israel. This town is mentioned in the denunciations of the prophets against Moab (Isa. 15:4; Jer. 48:34).