Monday, December 28, 2009

Mon 091228 am Rev 18-22

Revelation 18
18.9  sexual immorality and lived in luxury with her...  This seems to be in a figurative sense.  I find the use of sexual relations to describe our relationship with other gods, or in this case Babylon intriguing.
18.13  slave, that is, human souls...  It seems that slavery (and the poor) will always be with us. 
  
Revelation 19
19.8  for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints...  I am reminded of the Chronicles of Mansoul, the Ethel Barret (sp) version of Bunyan's Holy War and the imagery of the white garments they wore.  I wonder what we would look like if our righteousness were visible cloths.  I suspect we would spend a lot more time at the dry cleaners and tailor shop keeping it clean and repaired than we do now.
19.10   I am a fellow servant with you...  Thinking of myself as a "fellow" anything with angels is kinda cool.
   
Revelation 20
20.2, 3, 4, 6, & 7  thousand years...  I remember Dr. Barbieri's comment on this.  I may be the only place the length of the millennium is said to be 1,000 years, but it repeats it several times.
20.12-14  According to what they had done ... the book of life...   They were judged according to what they did and all who were not in the Book of Life were thrown into the lake of fire.  


Revelation 21
21.8 cowardly, faithless, detestable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, all liars... Now of all the sins that could be mentioned these find a special place here.  Of special interest to me is "cowardly."  Would never have guessed that one.  It would be interesting to do some follow up study on that one and on "detestable", which seems pretty vague.
  
Revelation 22
22.7, 20  coming soon...  An interesting and surprising choice of words, since I have been told that suddenly might be a better translation than soon. But soon is good too.  :o)
22.21  The race of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.   I don't ever recall a sermon with this verse as the text.  It seems that the last verse in the Bible would deserve more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment