Monday, December 10, 2012

Lyra Fidelium: ARTICLE II. “...and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord...”

Lyra Fidelium: Twelve Hymns on the Twelve Articles of the Apostle's Creed
by S. J. Stone, B.A.,
CURATE OF WINDSOR
-------------------------------------
"I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the understanding also."

ARTICLE II.
-------------------------------------
“...and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord...”
“Unto you which believe He is precious.”
 ------------------------------------- 

[Editor's note:  In the 1866 version of Lyra Fidelium  Scriptures  were placed beside  each verse in the twelve  hymns. The Scriptures supporting each hymn are numbered below the summary.]
 (Tune No. 105.)

1. GOD the Father's only Son,
Yet with Him in glory One,
One in wisdom, One in might,
Absolute and Infinite:
JESU, I believe in Thee,
Thou art LORD and GOD to Me.

2. Preacher of eternal peace,
The Anointed to release,
Unto sinners chained before
Setting wide the dungeon door:
JESU, I believe in Thee,
Christ the PROPHET sent to me.

3. Low in deep Gethsemane,
High on dreadful Calvary,
In the Garden, on the Cross,
Making good our utter loss:
JESU, I believe in Thee,
PRIEST and Sacrifice for me.

4. Ruler of Thy ransomed race,
And Protector by Thy grace,
Leader in the way we wend
And Rewarder at the end:
JESU, I believe in Thee,
Christ, the KING of kings to me.

5. Light revealed through clouds of pain,
That the blind might see again;
Love content in death to lie,
That the dead might never die:
JESU, I believe in Thee,
Light and LOVE and Life to me.

6. All that I am fain to know
While I watch and wait below:
All that I would find above,
Length and depth and height of love:
JESU, I believe in Thee,
Thou art All in All to me.   Amen.
 
SUMMARY OF TRUTHS CONFESSED IN ARTICLE II
        I believe that there is a Man JESUS  the Saviour, and that in and from Him is the only way, source, and gift of salvation, which He has Himself revealed, wrought out by His Blood, and will at last confer: that He is the Christ or Messiah, anointed by the Spirit to be Prophet, Priest, and King:  that He is the Son of God, begotten of the indivisible substance of the Father, and therefore of the same essence, very God of very God: that He is our Lord, with absolute authority over all things as God, and as Man invested with all power in Heaven and Earth.

1.
"The Only-begotten of the Father."
“The brightness of His glory, the express image of His Person."
“In Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead."
“God over all."-" In the beginning was the Word."
“My Lord and my God."

2.
“Came and preached peace.",
"The Lord hath anointed Me ... to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening, of the prison to them that are bound."
“He hath anointed Me to preach the Gospel."

3.
“Being, in an agony, His sweat was as, it were great drops of blood."
“... Calvary, there they crucified Him."
“Having made peace through the Blood of His Cross, by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself."
“We are sanctified through the offering of the Body of Jesus Christ."

4.
“He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever."
"My grace is sufficient for thee."
"Follow ME."
"The King shall say,  Come, ye blessed of My Father."
“King of kings and Lord of lords."  

5.
“I am the Light of the world."
“Called you out of darkness into His marvellous light."
"Who loved me, and gave Himself for me."
“He that believeth in ME, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in ME shall never die."

6.
“I determined not to know anything among you save Jesus Christ."
“I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus."
" To depart and to be with Christ, which is far better."
“To know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge."
"Christ is all, and in all."

No comments:

Post a Comment