Sunday, May 3, 2015

Daily Proverbs observations ch 25-3

It is a rare situation that cannot be made worse by losing your temper or becoming distraught. Every child should learn and take this one to heart.
Proverbs 25.28 "Whoever has no rule over his own spirit Is like a city broken down, without walls."


Proverbs 26.17 is a reminder that there is peril in wondering beyond our range and taking part in other's conflicts.
"He who passes by and meddles in a quarrel not his own
Is like one who takes a dog by the ears."


Hindsight is 20/20, but it takes an exceptional person to see what is coming ahead. May God give me the discernment and initiative I need for today.
Proverbs 27.12
"A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished."


Charity: generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also : aid given to those in need (M-W.com)
How long has it been since I have seen "the poor"? Why?
Proverbs 28.27
"He who gives to the poor* will not lack,
But he who hides his eyes will have many curses."
* Heb. ruwsh: to be poor, be in want, lack


Proverbs 29.13
"The poor man and the oppressor have this in common:
The LORD gives light to the eyes of both."
The poor and their oppressors speak of all people on both sides of this classic socio-economic divide. Just as the Lord enables all to see via the same physial light, it is from Him, not the perspective from our side in a conflict or particular social or economic strata that we receive spiritual wisdom and illumination. Lord, help me humbly seek you and not the wisdom of this world for that spiritual wisdom and perspective.


Just enough is just right.
Lord, help me honor you with little or much.
Proverbs 30.7-9
Two things I request of You
Deprive me not before I die.
8 Remove falsehood and lies far from me;
Give me neither poverty nor riches—
Feed me with the food allotted to me;
Lest I be full and deny You,
And say, "Who is the LORD?"
Or lest I be poor and steal, And profane the name of my God.


Lord, do not let an inconsiderate greed for self blind me to things I would do that will bring harm to me (and others).
Proverbs 1.17-19
Surely, in vain the net is spread In the sight of any bird;
But they lie in wait for their own blood,
They lurk secretly for their own lives.
So are the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain;
It takes away the life of its owners.


Proverbs 2.20
"So you may walk in the way of goodness,*
And keep to the paths of righteousness."
* H2829 - tōve: good, pleasant, agreeable
When I have embraced and understood God's wisdom, the right way becomes agreeable.


Lord, make me a submissive, humble recipient of Your grace and give me the patience to trust and hope in You while I wait for all its fruit.
Proverbs 3.34-35
Surely He scorns the scornful,
But gives grace to the humble.
The wise shall inherit glory,
But shame shall be the legacy of fools.
-----James 4.6-7
But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
"God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble."
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
-----1 Peter 5.5-7
Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for
"God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble."
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
 


Thinking about the relationship between God's righteousness and his forgiveness.
Daniel 9.16 "O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I pray, let Your anger and Your fury be turned away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people are a reproach to all those around us. 
 


Hosea 7.9a. ...of Israel's compromise with the nations around them. A warning for me too.
Aliens have devoured his strength,
But he does not know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment