Sunday, August 21, 2016

December 20015 Proverbs comments

As I read these verses it struck me as sounding very much like an "altar call," especially in light of verses 7-9. I am increasingly aware of how theological Proverbs is.
Proverbs 1.22-23
"How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning, And fools hate knowledge.
Turn at my rebuke;

Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.


Proverbs 2.20-22
20 So you will walk in the way of good people,
and will keep on the paths of the righteous.
21 For the upright will reside in the land,
and those with integrity will remain in it,

22 but the wicked will be removed from the land,
and the treacherous will be torn away from it. [NET]

We really see the book of Deuteronomy shine through in the words "the land" and the warnings to Israel if they were treacherous (unfaithful to their Covenant). Note, that the righteous are also the good.
Lord, make me good and faithful to You.


Wisdom takes pleasure in integrity, generosity, and peace.
Lord, help Your heart to be my heart.
Proverbs 3.27-30
27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
When it is in the power of your hand to do so.

28 Do not say to your neighbor, "Go, and come back,
And tomorrow I will give it,"
When you have it with you.
29 Do not devise evil against your neighbor,
For he dwells by you for safety's sake.
30 Do not strive with a man without cause,
If he has done you no harm.


Proverbs 4.14-17
"Do not enter the path of the wicked,
And do not walk in the way of evil.
Avoid it, do not travel on it;
Turn away from it and pass on.

For they do not sleep unless they have done evil;
And their sleep is taken away unless they make someone fall.
For they eat the bread of wickedness,
And drink the wine of violence."


I am struck by how consumed the wicked are in thinking about and doing wickedness.
Lord, give me that same intensity and preoccupation with You.

In the midst of all the focus on what NOT to do, here are some verses that rejoice in how to righteously fulfill these desires. Remember to do the do's. :o)
Proverbs 5.18-19
Let your fountain be blessed,
And rejoice with the wife of your youth.
As a loving deer and a graceful doe,

Let her ,,, satisfy you at all times;
And always be enraptured with her love.



Proverbs 6.23-25
"For the commandment is a lamp,
And the law a light;
Reproofs of instruction are the way of life,
To keep you from the evil woman,

From the flattering tongue of a seductress.
Do not lust after her beauty in your heart,
Nor let her allure you with her eyelids."

This chapter warns the son (and us) against debt, worthless men, immorality, and their dire consequences. Using the law as a guiding principle is presented as an effective deterrent.
Lord, make me a man of the book who meditates on and follows Your law day and night.


The impulsive and unwise decision of the naive/simple young man in this story had lasting consequences.
Lord, help me be intentional about doing good and thoughtful in my decisions.
Proverbs 7.22-23
"Immediately (or suddenly) he went after her, as an ox goes to the slaughter,
Or as a fool to the correction of the stocks,

Till an arrow struck his liver.
As a bird hastens to the snare,
He did not know it would cost his life."



Wisdom is not some cryptic, unwilling secret whose design is to be difficult and odious. God desires to reward our efforts to understand His ways, and for us to be blessed by following them.
Lord, give me a heart that seeks You and your wisdom.
Proverbs 8.17-19
17 I love those who love me,
And those who seek me diligently will find me.

18 Riches and honor are with me,
Enduring riches and righteousness.
19 My fruit is better than gold, yes, than fine gold,
And my revenue than choice silver.


The contrasts between deceit and truth in these verses highlight the simple joy and healthily effects of truth telling.
Proverbs 12.17-20
17 He who speaks truth declares righteousness,
But a false witness, deceit.
18 There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword,

But the tongue of the wise promotes health.
19 The truthful lip shall be established forever,
But a lying tongue is but for a moment.
20 Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil,
But counselors of peace have joy.


Even lawless men unknowingly accomplish what God had planned all along. That's one to sit and think about for a while.
Acts 2.23 "Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death.

Faithful and prudent are a good combination.
 Lord, help me to reflect Your faithfulness.
Proverbs 13.15-17
15 Good understanding gains favor,
But the way of the unfaithful is hard.
16 Every prudent man acts with knowledge,

But a fool lays open his folly.
17 A wicked messenger falls into trouble,
But a faithful ambassador brings health.



No comments:

Post a Comment