Monday, August 30, 2010

Ruth - 1 Samuel 19-20

Ruth 1
1.1  sojourn in the country of Moab...  A lot of teachers and preachers like to give Elimelech a hard time for going to Moab.  It was definantly an indication that things were not right in Israel, but I'm not inclined to be so hard on the guy.
1.6  the Lord had visited his people...  
.
Ruth 2
2.20  by the Lord, whose kindness has not forsaken the living or the dead...  
.
Ruth 3
3.15  and he measured out six measures...  Why six?  What that all she could carry?  Was their some symbolic significance.
.
Ruth 4
James 5.11
.
1 Samuel 19
19.4  his deeds have brought to good to you...  That is the kind of person we should be.
19.24  Is Saul also among the prophets?   This is an interesting event in several ways.  First the irony of the Proverb being that Saul is the last anyone would expect to be a prophet or close to God.  His emnity with God was breath taking.  Second, is the whole thing about the Spirit of God coming on him to prevent him from capturing David.
.
1 Samuel 20
20.3  there is but a step between me and death...  Reminds me of the Stonewall Jackson quote, “Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.”
20.42  the Lord shall be...  This assumed the fear of the Lord would motivate the promised action.

No comments:

Post a Comment