Thursday, October 6, 2011

Proverbs 1-7 "My Son"

Proverbs 
Nine admonitions regarding the parent's instructions 
The theme here seems to be hear/heed and holdIt is not the in one ear and out the other routine.  The ideas of listening and not forsaking also are tied to the idea of obeying them.

1:8 My son, hear the instruction of your father,
        And do not forsake the law of your mother;

2:1 My son, if you receive my words,
       And treasure my commands within you,

3:1 My son, do not forget my law,
       But let your heart keep my commands;

3:21 My son, let them not depart from your eyes--
         Keep sound wisdom and discretion;

4:10 Hear, my son, and receive my sayings,
          And the years of your life will be many.

4:20 My son, give attention to my words;
            Incline your ear to my sayings.

5:1  My son, pay attention to my wisdom;
        Lend your ear to my understanding,

6:20 My son, keep your father's command,
           And do not forsake the law of your mother.

7:1   My son, keep my words,
         And treasure my commands within you.


Other Admonitions
1:10 My son, if sinners entice you,
          Do not consent.
1:15 My son, do not walk in the way with them,
        Keep your foot from their path;

3:11 My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
         Nor detest His correction;

5:20 For why should you, my son, be enraptured by an immoral woman,
          And be embraced in the arms of a seductress?

6:1 My son, if you become surety for your friend,
        If you have shaken hands in pledge for a stranger,

6:3 So do this, my son, and deliver yourself;
        For you have come into the hand of your friend:
        Go and humble yourself;
        Plead with your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment