Monday, September 10, 2018

Weaker Brother and the Free Brother

I have for some time wrestled with the description of a "weaker brother" in Romans fourteen.  It seems to point to someone who is feeble and deficient.  But it seems to me that someone who is principled and holds firmly to the convictions of his/her conscience is anything but weak and feeble.  And if this person has a fundamental shortcoming, why wouldn't the Scripture encourage them to strengthen themselves in their faith or understanding?  Paul does not rebuke the weaker brother here like he does legalism in other places.

One day after a wedding I was discussing the service with a strong believer who would not be described as "legalistic."  I commented on how lively and contemporary the recessional had been. It was a fun "tune" to end the wedding.  He responded that we probably should not have allowed that tune because it was associated with a particularly ungodly and heathen musical group.  

I thought to myself, it's nice that I don't know anything about that group so that I am able to enjoy the song.  Then it hit me that in a sense it was my ignorance or the absence of a special sensitivity, not my superior spirituality that made me the "stronger" (free) brother in this situation.  I imagine that if I had the same background and experience with that song, I would have been troubled the same way my brother was.

Knowing what I had learned about that piece, it would be my desire to not use it in another wedding, for my bother's benefit, not because it would trouble me.  There was nothing particularly objectionable about the tune to either of our sensibilities, but it had connotations for my friend that it just didn't for me.  He should not condemn me because my background leaves me free to listen, and I should not insist on using the song with him because I know it would trouble him.


No comments:

Post a Comment