Friday, July 17, 2009

Fri 090717 pm 1Cor 6-7

1 Corinthians 6

6.1-8 Two things strike me in this section. The practical application of the natural conclusions of obeying the law. The second things was the importance that was put on maintaining a good reputation for the church and the Lord.
6.20 The verse tells us what not to do with our bodies. I am thinking about what I do do to glorify God with my body.

1 Corinthians 7

7.27 Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife. I find this to be a very interesting expression on a couple fronts. One, it seems odd to me that someone under Paul's teaching would think that dissolving a marriage would be an option. Second, I find the "free from a wife" an unusual since it could be thought to imply that being with a wife was bondage. There are aspects of that would that would apply, but it still seems a from my 20th century perspective to have some negative connotations.
7.40 have the Spirit of God. This is a place where a correct understanding of inspiration and the nature of Paul's apostleship is important. These are more than suggestions or personal feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment