Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ex 6-9

Exodus 
6.3  Does this mean that the references to "I AM" earlier were inserted by Moses when he wrote Genesis, etc.?
6.20  his father's sister...  Seems odd at first glance.  And why doesn't anybody ever name their kids Amram or Jochebed?  They seem like great saints to me.
6.30  It is striking how poor Moses' "self esteem" seemed to be.
7.5  the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD...
7.17  you shall know that I am the LORD...
7.22  Pharaoh's heart grew hard and he did not heed..
8.9  accept the honor of saying when I shall intercede...  This is a curious statement to my thinking even though it probably made perfect sense to those there at that time.
"Moses said to him (Exo_8:9), “Glorify thyself over me, when I shall entreat for thee,” i.e., take the glory upon thyself of determining the time when I shall remove the plague through my intercession. The expression is elliptical, and לֵעמֹר (saying) is to be supplied, as in Jdg_7:2. To give Jehovah the glory, Moses placed himself below Pharaoh, and left him to fix the time for the frogs to be removed through his intercession."  --Keil and Delitzch OT Commentary
8.10  that you may know that there is no one like the LORD our God.
8.19  this is the finger of God... I suspect they used a term for God that was not monotheistic, but the still knew something special was happening.
8.22  in order that you [pharaoh] may know that I am the LORD...
8.32  but Pharaoh hardened his heart...
9.7  pharaoh sent [to investigate] ...  This is beginning to get his attention.
9.7 heart of Pharaoh became hard...
9.27  This is a very intereting statement coming from a hard hearted, unrepentant, polytheist.  I am not sure what he meant by this, but it seems to indicate that there are times when a nice sounding confession probably doesn't mean much.  Verse 30 highlights its emptiness.
9.36  he hardened his heart....

No comments:

Post a Comment